I have been experimenting with King Oyster mushrooms recently as a meat replacement, as I have been wanting to try it for a while and love mushrooms so much it seemed like a good idea to play around with it as I was thinking it might come in handy with Xmas recipes coming up. I made a pulled jerk ‘chicken’ with it and had a lot of people asking me on Instagram to share the recipe and as it was so easy I thought it would be good to post it, as if many of you are like me, then you are probably thinking that there are a lot more step to this than there actually are.
Also, as the sauce is added at the second stage of cooking it is so versatile, you could add barbecue sauce, sweet and sour, black bean, chilli, tomato sauce, the list really does go on. It is perfect for cooking alongside pasta, or rice as they take just 30 minutes in the oven and then you need to pan fry it for around 10 minutes, so it makes for a fairly easy meal and I assure you the preparation takes less than 5 minutes.
As far as portions go I would say 1 and a half medium sized mushrooms per person, they do shrink a lot in the oven so do not panic this is normal. I have based mine on the meal I made for the 2 of us so just double the quantities for a family of 4.
3 x oyster mushrooms, washed well
1 tablespoon x vegetable oil
1 tablespoon x garlic powder
1 tablespoon x onion powder
¼ cup x water
¼ cup x sauce of choice
pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Take a fork and drag it down the length of the mushroom to shred it, this should be fairly easy to do, however if you find there are some bits tougher than other, then you can tear by hand.
- place in an ovenproof dish with the oil, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and give a good mix with your hands to coat well.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 until all is tender.
- PLace the sauce and water in a bowl and mix well, add this to a saucepan off of the heat and when the mushrooms are ready add them to the sauce on a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until all the sauce has thickened and all pieces are well coated and hot throughout.
Best served immediately. Do let me know what sauce combinations you use on this, I plan on making a lot more a posting them on my Instagram so if you aren’t already following then a follow would be greatly appreciated!