So, I have been talking about posting this recipe for a while, I have been experimenting with aubergine for a few months now. I will always order aubergine dishes whenever I see them on the menu because I find them so delicious and so exciting to cook with,there are tonnes of ways but I like to stuff mine because it is quick and easy, I added some vegan ‘feta’ and some spicy falafel, that I crushed down and sprinkled over but that is really optional.
These should not take long to make and are so delicious, that I think of them as a treat whenever I eat them! I will be using Mr Organic rice and tinned chopped tomatoes for this because it gives such a great flavour, I really suggest you try out their products, they are affordable and you really can taste the difference.
I am using Organic Indica Brown Rice, which takes a little longer to cook, so cook your rice according to the packet. This recipe is based on 2 servings.
400g tin x chopped tomatoes
1cup x water
1/2 cup x rice
2 x aubergines
4 tablespoons x all-purpose seasoning
1 x vegan stock cube
2 tablespoons x olive oil
black pepper to season
- Add the rice, stock, tomatoes and water to a pan and bring to the boil, give a good stir to start with to make sure nothing gets stuck to the bottom and then stir every few minutes to make sure all is cooking evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cut each aubergine in half and then score them diagonally both ways to create diamond shapes on each side, place score side up on a baking tray, using half a tablespoon of oil on each of the aubergine,make sure that it gets in to the crevices and then add a tablespoon of the all-purpose seasoning to each piece also.
- Place aubergine in the oven for 20- 25 minutes before removing and with a fork, it should be tender enough to press down the flesh, if it is not quite soft enough, then return to the oven for another 5 -10 minutes until it is easily pressed down.
- Once rice is cooked, spoon the rice over the top of the aubergine until it is just mounding over the top, season with black pepper.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes, if you want to add the additional toppings then they can go on after 5minutes.
- Ensure all is piping hot and serve immediately.