With Autumn knocking at the door, it is time to get the comfy jumpers out and enjoy comfort foods that will keep us warm and full. I love this time of year and the word ‘Autumnal’.
Soup is a great dish to keep everyone happy and the soup that I am going to be sharing with you is ready in less than 45 minutes and can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge overnight ready to be heated up the next day.
As always, I like to make dishes that can be adapted to what you have at home, but for the staple part of the dish, am using Mr Organic‘s Lentil, split peas and mung beans, it is worth getting a few packets of these, as they come in so handy and work well in pretty much every soup or stew.
It is a pretty easy soup it will easily serve 6, I like to add some really simple croutons to the top, all you need to do is get some nice seeded bread, drizzle some olive oil over both sides and pop under the grill for about 2 minutes until brown on both sides, be careful when removing from the oven, as they get really hot! Slice into little or large cubes and plonk on top of the top for the ultimate comfort food!
2 x onions, diced
3 x garlic cloves, diced
2 cups x passata
4 cups x vegetable stock
2 cups x Mr Organic’s Lentil, split peas and mung beans
4 tablespoons x all-purpose seasoning
2 tablespoons x chill puree
1 pinch x sea salt
2 tablespoons x black pepper
1/2 x broccoli, chopped
2 x carrots, finely chopped
2 cups x frozen peas
2 cups x green beans
1/2 cup x flour
3 cups x baby potatoes, halved
1/2 cup x cold water
1 tablespoon x coconut oil
- In a pan large enough to cook the soup, place the oil, onions and garlic and on a low heat cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the vegetable stock, all-purpose seasoning and passata and stir well, leaving to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the lentil mix, along with the potatoes and chilli puree, simmering for a further 20 minutes.
- Stirring frequently to ensure nothing is on the bottom of the pan. Once the potatoes are starting to soften add the rest of the vegetables along with the salt and pepper.
- In a separate cup add the flour and water and whisk together with a fork until smooth, once smooth, add this to the soup and stir well.
- Stir until the flour starts to thicken the soup, place lid on and allow to simmer for a further 5 – 10 minutes until all is tender.
- During this time, you may want to start with the croutons.
- Serve immediately, wearing slippers and baggy jumpers whilst eating will enhance the meal experience!