Lasagne used to be a staple meal in my house hold growing up, it is such a classic, but with that being said I prefer this vegan recipe to any of the others. I have made sure it is quick and easy and if you want to use up any veggies you have in the fridge then you can throw them in too.
As a very proud brand ambassador of Mr Organic, I will, of course, be using their Basilico sauce for this dish because it is delicious and contains only the good stuff so no nasties which you can find in a lot of other brands pasta sauces.
This will serve 6 people with a salad, 4 people if eating it by itself. It is super easy to make and can be stored in the fridge over night if you want to reheat it the next day, wouldn’t recommend keeping it in the fridge longer than that as it is always best served straight out of the oven. As always I encourage my readers to take time out from your busy day and sit down and eat dinner! This is one that will get even the fussiest eaters wanting more.
As mentioned you can add or change any of the ingredients you wish to put with the sauce. Don’t be afraid to experiment with them. Most lasagne sheets are vegan though it is always worth double checking, don’t be fooled into buying more expensive free from sheets.
I am using plain vegan yoghurt as this gives the best taste in my opinion though if you wish to use another kind such as coconut I am sure that would be fine also.
You can use any oven dish for this, I like to make mine with 2 layers of the basilico mix, obviously depending on the size and depth of your dish the layers may change. Let’s get on with it, shall we?
1 tablespoon x coconut oil
1 cup x chestnut mushrooms, diced
1 x red onion, diced
1 x carrot, diced
1 cup x vegan bacon, diced
1 jar x Mr Organic Basilco sauce
6 x lasagne sheets
2 cups x yoghurt
2 tablespoons x tomato puree
4 tablespoons x garlic puree
4 tablespoons x mild mustard
2 teaspoons x black pepper
1/2 cup x nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Add the coconut oil to a medium pan on a medium to high heat and once melted add the carrots and onions.
- Allow to them to soften for a few minutes, moving continuously before adding the mushrooms and vegan bacon.
- Cook for a further few minutes and then add the Basilico sauce and 2 tablespoons of the garlic puree, black pepper and all of the tomato puree.
- Stir well and turn heat down to low heat, allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- In a bowl mix the remaining garlic puree with the mustard and yoghurt, ensuring all is mix together well.
- Remove the veggies from the heat and pour half of the mix into the bottom of your chosen dish, then layer with 3 of the lasagne sheets, (may need more if using a bigger dish).
- Repeat this and then on top of the lasagne sheets add the yoghurt mixture, pour this over evenly and use the back of the spoon to make sure it is level.
- Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until you can see that the tomato sauce is starting to bubble up to the top.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkling the nutritional yeast over the top and return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes.
- For best results serve immediately.