Day 4 and we are returning to the land of soup, but this time a spicy butternut squash, served with dark Rye crackers. This recipe is made for people like me, who like to pop something on the hob and get on with other things, obviously in the same room, whilst ensuring the hob is safe at all times. This dish can be spicy or spicier, I’ve got for a mild dosage of heat, so up in as much as you wish!
This recipe serves 4 for a starter.
5 x cups of butternut squash (peeled, trimmed and cubed)
2 x vegan vegetable stock cubes
2 x tablespoons of hot sauce
2 x red potato (peeled and cubed)
2 x garlic cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
8 x cups of boiling water
Pepper for seasoning
1. First things first, start by putting the garlic into a pan with the stock cubes and water, let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring every minute.
2. Add potatoes and butternut squash and return to boil for 10 minutes and then allow a gentle simmer for a following 20 minutes.
3. Use a potato masher to check that the butternut squash is soft enough to mash, if not return to simmer for a further 10 minutes and repeat.
4. When the butternut squash and potato have been mashed, use a wooden spoon to stir in the hot sauce and seasoning, return to boil for 5-7 minutes.
5. Taste the soup and ensure it is smooth enough, otherwise mash again.
6. Serve immediately with dark rye crackers.